Sign In | School | Bookmarks | News | Columns |Speakers | Tips |
About Us | Contact
TAKE OUR HOLIDAY QUIZ|
It's holiday time, best time of the year to give your child the gift of health and fitness, so why not use our KR checklist to see how you fare? Grade yourself on last year, then try to up your score this year.
HOLIDAY CHECKLIST |
by Carol Goodrow
Note from the Editor: November 26, 2008
This morning's routine: Put the whole-grain gingerbread batter in the oven and while it is baking take a 20-minute run on the new treadmill. 2 points for me! Feeling energized with visions of healthiness, I thought this would be a good time to start holiday plans to make sure I earn all 11 points this year. Easy! How about you?
It's holiday season 2008. The CDC says that more adults are exercising than ever. At KR we believe that is true, but is it true for you, and what about your kids? Are you involving them in healthy seasonal fun?
1. Plan for a holiday family fun run.
Take your family and friends to the event. ______ (1 point per participant who runs or walks) Add an extra point if you are now a seasoned exerciser and this is an annual event that you do each year.
2. Give or ask for active "toys" (bikes, snowshoes, skis, running shoes). ______ (1 point per active "toy")
3. Cook a free-range (organic) turkey for a holiday meal and start increasing the number of organic foods you buy and serve. ______(1 point for each organic food served at a holiday meal)
4. "Healthify" your holiday cookies. Substitute whole grain flour for enriched flour, cut down on the sugar, use a cold-pressed oil for the fat, and add a little wheat germ. ______(1 point for each change)
5. Give or ask for books and calendars that promote healthy living. ______(1 point per book)
6. Give or ask for subscriptions to healthy-living publications (running magazines, nutrition newsletters, fitness magazines, etc.) _____ (1 point per publication)
7. Fill stockings with more fruit and nuts than candy. ______ (1 point per healthy stocking) Add an extra point if the candy you include is dark chocolate (a little bit can be a healthy treat).
8. Give sports clothing: T-shirts, exercise pants, mittens, hats, socks. ______(1 point per article of clothing)
9. Plan a winter family exericise schedule. Mark dates on the calendar for running, hiking, snowshoeing, and skiiing. _______(1 point for each date scheduled) Add an extra point if you are including your dog.
10. Buy exercise journals for gifts and buy one for yourself. ______(1 point for each journal given)
11. Think GREEN. Buy thermal clothing to help you stay warm in cooler rooms. ______(1 point for each piece of thermal clothing. )
Do you run with your schoolchildren? Please let me know all about your program.